Re: Viewports and Bounding Boxes

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:13:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had two (rambling) questions:
>
> (1)
> The issue of viewports and bounding boxes is
> a bit confusing to me. Is there a good reference
> or tutorial for this that shows how they relate
> (maybe in a pictorial sense) ? Annotations have
> viewports, plots have viewports, they are attached,
> and some things you can change while others you
> can not ... (can you draw a box around the different
> viewports of your graphic ?)

Hi Bruce,

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you. There was no graphical
example of this, so I created an apps page that will hopefully
help. See:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/viewport.shtml

> I have seen the web page
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/PlotManager.shtml
>
> but could use some more help.
>

> (2)
> In a particular case, I am trying to make a pdf file,
> but parts of my plot are being clipped. I guess there
> is a default master viewport size ? And this could be
> different for different workstations ?
>
> I wish vpClipOn could be used to stop all clipping.

I'm not sure what kind of clipping you're seeing, but if you can
provide an image I might be able to help. The clipping could be
coming from if you are drawing things outside the unit square, or just
from the PS/PDF margins themselves.

> I don't allways like to use gsnMaximize because (1) it can
> flip the orientation of my plot, and (2) there is still
> some viewport limit (?true?).
>
> I would like to be able to say that I want my pdf/eps/ps
> plot in fixed portrait or landscape orientation, and then be
> able to access any part of the page without being clipped.

If you set gsnMaximize to True, you can also set gsnPaperOrientation
to "portrait" or "landscape" to force it to stay in that orientation.
The default is "auto" in which it picks the best orientation for the
size and shape of your plot.

vpClipOn only works with vector plots unfortunately. What
kind of clipping are you trying to prevent?

--Mary