Calculating surface area of a T42 grid

From: Gina Henderson <ginah_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:59:08 -0400

Hi there,

has anyone used ncl to calculate the surface area (km^2) of CCSM grid
squares? I am looking to calculate the area of land occupied by certain grid
squares. I have the lat and lon arrays of what I assume are the grid
vertices and was going to use teh gc_qarea function to calc the area on a
unit sphere and then go from there. Is there a better way to do this? Also,
I want these grid cell areas to correspond to data fields that I plotted
using the rasterfill cn funtion (on the same 64x128 grid), so does this mean
I should offset the vertices to build the area from the 'center' of a grid
cell rather than the corners?

Any suggestions or comments would be great.
Thanks, Gina.