Re: Velocity Potential.

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:38:36 -0600

The error messages are telling you what is wrong.

====================
; open file to write interpolated variable to (file should not already
exist)
out = addfile("GHA.2005.nc","c")
=====================
fatal:Could not create (GHA.2005.nc <http://GHA.2005.nc>)

This is *not* an NCL issue. Either you do not have permission
to write to the current directory or you or a system administrator
has set a netCDF related environment variable 'NC_CLOBBER'
such that if GHA.2005.nc exists, it can not be overwritten.
The user must reset NC_CLOBBER or do the following:

         system("/bin/rm -f GHA.2005.nc") ; remove any pre-existing file
         out = addfile("GHA.2005.nc","c")

==========================
; open data file to get sigma lev data from
data = addfile("ATMdaily.2005.nc", "r")

;get the variables
 U = data->u
 V = data->v
=======================

fatal:Either file (data) isn't defined or variable (u) is not a variable
in the file
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 36

This is self-explanatory. Either "ATMdaily.2005.nc" is not in the
current directory [where the NCL script resides] or the variables
"u" and "v" are not on the file. Maybe they are "U" and "V"

Finally, if your data is 12S- 23N, 20E-80E the your data are
not global. *You can not use any of the spherical harmonic functions*
because they require *global* data. This is clearly stated in the
documentation.

Owanda Otieno wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please help in identifying the problem with my attached
> script. When I try to run it I get the following error massage;
>
> fatal:Could not create (GHA.2005.nc <http://GHA.2005.nc>)
> fatal:Either file (data) isn't defined or variable (u) is not a
> variable in the file
> fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 36
>
> I am working on bluefire and my data is from RegCM3 runs over the
> region; 12S- 23N, 20E-80E, having the following specifications
>
> Descriptor: ATMdaily.2005.nc <http://ATMdaily.2005.nc>
> Binary: ATMdaily.2005.nc <http://ATMdaily.2005.nc>
> Type = Gridded
> Xsize = 214 Ysize = 134 Zsize = 11 Tsize = 334 Esize = 1
> Number of Variables = 20
> u 11 t,z,y,x Zonal Wind
> v 11 t,z,y,x Meridional Wind
> w 11 t,z,y,x Vertical Velocity
> tk 11 t,z,y,x Temperature
> qd 11 t,z,y,x Mixing Ratio
> qc 11 t,z,y,x Cloud Mixing Ratio
> rh 11 t,z,y,x Relative Humidity
> hgt 11 t,z,y,x Geopotential Height
> th 11 t,z,y,x Potential Temperature
> td 11 t,z,y,x Dew Point Temperature
> vor 11 t,z,y,x Horz Vorticity
> div 11 t,z,y,x Horz Divergence
> mse 11 t,z,y,x Moist Static Energy
> ps 0 t,y,x Surface Pressure
> rt 0 t,y,x Total Precip
> tgrnd 0 t,y,x Ground Temperature
> smt 0 t,y,x Total Soil Water
> bs 0 t,y,x Base Flow
> slp1 0 t,y,x Sea Level Pressure
> slp2 0 t,y,x Sea Level Pressure
>

> Thanks in Advance
> Owanda.

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |