Re: EOF signs

From: Andrew Dawson <andrew.dawson_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:57:10 +0100

EOF analysis can sometimes be quite confusing. It is important to remember
that the process of finding EOF patterns is purely mathematical, and that
any physical meaning is dependent on your interpretation of the mathematical
result.

EOFs are essentially eigenvectors of the covariance matrix formed from your
input data. Since an eigenvector can be multiplied by any scalar and still
remain an eigenvector, the sign is arbitrary. In a mathematical sense the
sign of an eigenvector is rather unimportant. This is why the EOF analysis
may yield different signed EOFs for slightly different inputs. Sign only
becomes an issue when you wish to interpret the physical meaning (if any) of
an eigenvector.

You should approach the interpretation of EOFs by looking at both the EOF
pattern and the associated time series together. For example, consider an
EOF of sea surface temperature. If your EOF has a positve centre and the
associated time series is increasing then you will interpret this centre as
a warming signal. If your EOF had come out the other sign (ie. a negative
centre) then the associated time series would also be the opposite sign and
you would still interpret the centre as a warming signal.

In essence, the sign flip does not change the physical interpretation of the
result. Hence, it is up to you to choose which sign to associate with your
EOF patterns for visualisation (remembering that any sign change to an EOF
must be applied to the associated time series also). Usually you would
simply adjust the sign so that all your EOF patterns with the same physical
interpretation also look the same.

I hope that my explanation makes sense.