Re: offline documentation package

From: Jonathan Vigh <vigh_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:56:53 +0000

Hi Rob, Mary, and all,

   I just spent some time checking into whether it would be easy to use
wget to create a local archive of the NCL web site. I think it would be,
using something like:
wget -m -k -K -E http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ -o "ncl_doc_grab.log"

This invocation of wget is supposed to convert the links so that the
page can be viewed offline (the -k option). However, when I tried this,
it didn't work, and I think this is because of the way the links are
coded throughout the NCL web site. When I looked at the page source, I
noticed that the links are coded as:

<view-source:http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/get_started.shtml>"

I think the leading forward slash isn't necessary and messes up wget
when it tries to convert the links (they end up pointing to the root of
the entire drive rather than the local directory). Otherwise, I think it
would work. I'm not an html expert though, so maybe there's reason why
the NCL website is coded the way it was. Anyway, wget would be a
convenient way to create a working archive for offline viewing if there
is an easy fix for this (or some wget trick that I can't find).

Have a good weekend,

Jonathan

P.S. I think another thing that can mess wget up is if a baseref is set
for the site. I don't think that's the issue for the NCL site though.