Re: How to create cross sections with netCDF files??

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:15:00 -0600

When sending to ncl-talk, it is best to include the output from
'printVarSummary'

 printVarSummary(air)

This will tell the ncl-talk community the 'structure' of the variable.
Otherwise people are guessing at the structure.

Of specific interest are netCDF "coordinate variables".

Regards

Lara Pagano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new to NCL, so I am having a hard time with figuring out how to
> do a cross section using netCDF files. Currently my code looks like:
>
> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/
> nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>
> a = addfile("conc_20080611020000.nc
> <http://conc_20080611020000.nc/>","r") #Add my netCDF file
> air = a->airconc(:,:,:,:,:,:) #bring in the airconc variable to be
> displayed
> print(air(:,:,:,7,:,:)) #print out airconc at level 7
>

> As is noted here, there is six dimensions of airconc (time, nageclass,
> nspecies, level, lat, lon). I am not concerned with the first three
> dimensions and they are always set to 0. However, I want to show the
> air concentration with height through a portion of the domain (cross
> section). I should add that the lat, lon are in meters, but I am not
> concerned about that right now. Anyone have ideas on how this could
> be done??
>
> Thank you all so much for taking the time to look at this issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lara

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |