Re: Memory allocation

From: Dave Allured <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 13:38:16 MDT

Dennis Shea wrote:
> I am sure you have your reasons for creating ASCII.
> It is the least efficient format for storage.

ASCII or "text" is great for compatibility with many softwares that
do not support Netcdf, fortran binaries, and so on. I could go on,
but I will just say that I hope that NCL and other programming
languages continue to support reasonable modes of text file I/O.

> I think a better procedure for writing ascii is
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/write_matrix.shtml

Does this function bypass the allocation of NCL unique strings? If
so, it would be great if that could be added to documentation of
this function, and also to FAQ's about string allocation problems.
Thank you!

Dave Allured
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
*** http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/psd1/ ***

*** NOTICE: NEW PSD1/CAB WEBSITE ADDRESS AS OF 2009-OCT-14 ***
*** PRODUCT AND DATA CONSUMERS PLEASE TAKE NOTE ***