Re: how to calculate potential vorticity

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 14:03:24 MST

Please note: tThe 1st rule of data processing is to *look at your data*.

[1]
The calculation of potential vorticity requires a vertical derivative.

You have:

  a = addfile("uwnd.2005.nc","r")
  u = short2flt(a->uwnd(152,{200},:,:))

which means you are reading in the 153rd time step and the 200hPa level
only.
In fact, you have only a two-dimensional array: u(lat,lon). The same holds
for temperature and v. So, you do not have multiple vertical levels.
Hence,
a vertical derivative in not possible!!

Use
      printVarSummary( u )
to verify.

The actual data variables are: (time, lev,lat,lon)

[2]
There were many syntax errors which you did not even try to correct.
Please do not send us code with multiple syntax errors.
We like to help but *** our time is valuable too!!!! ***

[3]

Please read the Mini-Language manual at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

[4]
The approximation you were using is good only on isentropic surfaces.
The formulation
for pressure levels is significantly different.

I have a PV code which I will send you offline.
*NOTE* the is unsupported. I will not answer any questions.