Buglet with ut_calendar()

From: Capehart, William J <William.Capehart_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Nov 05 2009 - 09:51:18 MST

Hi guys,

I may have found a small buglet with ut_calendar

for the following time variable (and most importantly the unit description)

Variable: time
Type: integer
Total Size: 36 bytes
            9 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [nt_time | 9]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 5
  long_name : forecast time
  units : hour since 2009-10-29t06:00:00z
  _CoordinateAxisType : time
  valid_max : 24
  valid_min : 0
(0) 0
(1) 3
(2) 6
(3) 9
(4) 12
(5) 15
(6) 18
(7) 21
(8) 24

Note the t separating the Date and Time in the time@units attribute.

The output of ut_calendar becomes

ncl 19> print(ut_calendar(time,3))
Variable: unnamed (return)
Type: double
Total Size: 72 bytes
            9 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [9]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
  calendar : standard
(0) 2009102900
(1) 2009102903
(2) 2009102906
(3) 2009102909
(4) 2009102912
(5) 2009102915
(6) 2009102918
(7) 2009102921
(8) 2009103000

when I take out the character separating the date from the time (replacing it with a space), it’s ok. but as I understand it and have seen in other packages (e.g., IDV), the t is accepted – in fact IDV adds the “t” when it converts a GRIB file into netcdf.

Can that be patched for 5.1.2?

Thanks Much
Bill