Help with addfiles and stride syntax

From: Gina Henderson <ginah_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 12:33:57 MST

Hi there,

I am trying to read in data that spans multiple files but cannot read a
variable entirely as the array would exceed ncl's limit. I need to read in
the data continuously as it is a multiple year model run with each history
tape containing 30 days of data but the write date of each tape is not
necessarily at the start of each month. Is there any way of using the stride
function to extract a block of data per stride rather than just one value so
I could do the analysis by month and avoid the array memory limit?

Something like:
 allfiles = systemfunc("ls "+inputpath+"filename*.nc")
  a = addfiles(allfiles,"r")
  ListSetType (a, "cat")

where instead of getting the whole var(:,:,:,:), can I get the first 30 of
each 365 chuck of the first dimension? I am not sure if this is possible or
what the correct syntax would be?

Thanks, Gina.