Metric wind barbs

From: Jack Glendening <ncarg_drjack_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 13:08:27 MST

Can any non-US meteorologists comment on whether there is a metric
"meteorological standard" for wind barb display of wind speed? I'm
getting one (non-US) person telling me that wind barbs always
represent 5 knots, even in countries where winds are normally given in
kn/hr, and another telling me that is not so. Being US-oriented, I
have no idea how wind barbs are normally represented outside the US.

Jack Glendening