Re: tabs vs. spaces with asciiread

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 15:56:03 MST

On Dec 7, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Jonathan Vigh wrote:

> Hi NCL'ers,
> I have another ASCII reading question. I created a data file by
> hand using nedit. This file has mixed type (strings, logicals, and
> integers). My original plan was to use asciiread to read the file
> into NCL by column position, converting the strings into the
> appropriate type. Unfortunately, when I was creating the file I used
> both spaces and tabs to align the columns, and it seems that
> asciiread is not seeing things in the position they appear within
> nedit.
> I'm wondering, first of all, if anyone knows a simple way to save
> such a file to fix this (maybe in a different text editor?).

Hi Jonathan,

emacs has a command called 'untabify' that changes tabs into the right
number of spaces.
If you have never used it, you could try:

emacs <filename>
<control> spacebar # sets the mark at the top of the file
<ESC> <shift> > # that is the 'greater than symbol --
moves to the end of the file.
<ESC> x untabify # executes the untabify command on the
region (in this case the whole file)

Note that by default emacs assumes a tab stop of 8, so if you are
using something else you need to change the emacs default.
Hope this helps.
  -dave