Re: meteogram script for WRF model

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 13:25:36 MST

I do not understand:

"I've created a very convoluted script (driven by a Python script) that
grabs output from separate files"

Why use an external script [Python/Csh/Ruby/...]??? You can use addfiles

  fils = systemfunc("ls wrfout_d01_2006-09*00:00:00") ; 3 files each
has 9 time steps
  print(fils)
  f = addfiles(fils+".nc","r") ; f is of type "list"
  print( f[0] ) ; each element of the
list is of type "file"
  V = f[:]->V
  printVarSummary(V)

Variable: V
Type: float
Total Size: 45314640 bytes
            11328660 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
Dimensions and sizes: [Time | 27] x [bottom_top | 27] x
[south_north_stag | 111] x [west_east | 140]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 6
  FieldType : 104
  MemoryOrder : XYZ
  description : y-wind component
  units : m s-1
  stagger : Y
  coordinates : XLONG_V XLAT_V

Don Morton wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM, John Hyun <jupiter1h@gmail.com
> <mailto:jupiter1h@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> if anyone has the meteogram ncl scripts for WRF model, please
> share with me.
>
> I have searched it but only I can find the cdf file sample and
> GrADS one.
>

> This is the one I've used as a model:
>
> <http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Examples/SPECIAL/meteograms.htm>
>
> It assumes that all your output is in a single wrfout file. That's
> not the case with me, so I've created a very convoluted script (driven
> by a Python script) that grabs output from separate files and keeps it
> together for final production of the meteogram, producing something like:
>
> <http://weather.arsc.edu/ForecastProducts/ARSCHRRR/webImages/2009120112/meteogram-PAFA-d01.gif>
>
> I'm happy to share if someone wants it, but it has a long ways to go
> (Mary, this is the one I mentioned to you when we talked in
> Portland). Ultimately, I want something that looks something like
> this (you can see I have a long, long ways to go...):
>
> <http://www.spc.noaa.gov/nwa/okc_grads_met.html>
>

> --
> Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
> http://www.arsc.edu/~morton/ <http://www.arsc.edu/%7Emorton/>

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |