Re: Output a NetCDF Mask Based on Geographic Areas

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 10:10:08 MST

Hi Scott,

I'm afraid it is not possible to interact with the NCL map databases
in this fashion. We've had requests for this kind of thing, and it's
on our to do list.

You might look at the landsea_mask function: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/
Document/Functions/Shea_util/landsea_mask.shtml

You would have to provide the lat/lon arrays of your geographic area.
Perhaps they are available in a shapefile, which NCL does support.

For some general masking examples, please see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml

This page might give you some ideas on what you are trying to
accomplish.

--Mary