What are the various conditions that could cause a malloc error?

From: Bridget Thrasher <bthrasher_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 17:29:30 MST

I am unable to figure out why I am getting the malloc error below. I'm
running 5.1.1 on Mac OSX 10.5.8, there are over 6GB of memory available when
the process starts, and
over 3GB available when it fails. I'm getting an additional 8GB of memory
soon, but I'm not confident that it will solve my problem since in theory it
seems the process should run just fine on the 8GB that are already in the
box. What else leads to a malloc error?

ncl(25887) malloc: *** mmap(size=16777216) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
fatal:NclMalloc Failed:[errno=12]

-Bridget

--