Re: why the contour line interval label of the panel plots is different from the individual plot?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 09:49:59 MST

Dear Xiao Zhang,

This is a case of where NCL is trying to help make your plots look
better by redoing your contour labels when you resize the plot. NCL
uses a rather complex algorithm to determine the placement of the
labels.

When you draw the plots individually, the plots are larger, and hence
there is more room for contour labels.

When the plots get resized for the panel, they are now smaller, and
hence there's not as much room for labels. NCL will then try to redo
the labels in an effort to make sure they don't run into each other.

You can better control the placement of contour labels by setting the
cnLineLabelPlacementMode mode to "constant":

   xyres@cnLineLabelPlacementMode = "constant"

I've attached a sample script and a PDF file that show what the plots
look like in "constant" mode versus "radomized" mode, which is the
default.

BTW: this PDF file was created using our new PDF driver (not yet
released). This file is 3.5 times smaller than what the original PDF
driver would have created.

--Mary