Can NCL be used to generate RGB composites?

From: Simon Wood <simon.wood_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 21:50:20 MST

Hi,

I have some multi-channel satellite data from which I want to recreate pseudo true colour images, complete with coast and grid lines and am trying to determine whether this can be done in NCL. Specifically I have nominal red, green and blue channels (MODIS bands 1, 4 & 3) in the satellite data which I need to combine as an RGB image.

Most of what I need to do seems straight forward (interpolate and sharpen the blue and green channels so all at same resolution, re-project to desired grid (outside of NCL)) resulting in 3 gridded data channels (red, green, blue) plus lat-lon references for each grid cell (if required). I figured that by using an NCL 'native grid' (i.e. setting 'res@tfDoNDCOverlay') with the exact same map projection parameters as used to re-project the data I should be able to map the data with coastlines, grid lines etc as required.

However, what I cannot figure out is how to combine the three input channels and plot them to create a single image (e.g. using some kind of gsn_xxx_map() method). Is this actually possible in NCL?

Anybody able to offer any suggestions for this?

regards
Simon

--
Simon Wood