calculate rel hum given q??

From: <Maurice.McHugh_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 13:04:20 MST

Good afternoon everyone!

I'd like to use the relhum function (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/relhum.shtml) to calculate relative humidity (rh) given temperature (t), specific humidity (q) and pressure (p).

The examples shown all use q (specific humidity), rather than the mixing ratio (MR) as is stated at the top of the examples page.

While I can easily convert q to MR (MR = q/(1-q) ), I'd like some clarification as to whether q or MR are required to produce the correct RH.

Thank you,

Maurice