Re: triple2grid

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 08:39:58 MST

On 03/09/2010 02:23 AM, Ashley Watson wrote:
> Hi again,
> Thanks Rick, today I encountered the similar problem using
> area_hi2lores.

This is *not* related to what function is being used.

Is there a workaround to overcome this
> memory limitation(segmentation fault).

Currently, the only way would be to reduce the spatial or temporal
dimensions of the data input data

     X(38400,181,133)

     xa = f->X(:,::2,::2) ; every other grid point

     xb = f->X(::2,:,:) ; every other time

Also the NCL's 2GB data limit is
> for 32bit version or its the same on 64bit version. I mean, if I install
> NCL on 64bit machine with 32GB of memory can I oversome this problem.

The addressing used by NCL is currently limited tp 32-bit ...
It is internal to NCL.

The 6.0.0 release [?summer 2010?] will allow 64-bit addressing.

Good luck

> Ashley
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Rick Brownrigg <brownrig@ucar.edu
> <mailto:brownrig@ucar.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hi Ashley,
>
> It could be that you are running up against NCL's 2GB data limit(?).
> The docs for triple2grid state that the return result will be:
>
> "The return array will be /K/ x /N/ x /M/, where /K/ represents the
> leftmost dimensions of /data/. It will be of type double if any of
> the input is double, and float otherwise."
>
> After ndtooned(orog), the left (and right!) dimension is 38400, rlon
> is 181, rlat is 133, to yield:
>
> 38400x181x133xsizeof(float) = 3.69GB
>
> In any case, something other than a SEGV would be preferable.
>
> Not sure that helps...
> Rick
>
> On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:39 AM, Ashley Watson wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am trying to use nearest neighbor approach for regridding
>> temperature from model native grid to regular grid. As rcm2rgrid
>> doesn't employ nearest neighbor
>> method, I tried to use triple2grid but I am stuck with
>> segmentation fault. My script and sample input data is attached.
>> The attached script works fine
>> for rcm2rgrid but not for triple2grid. Why triple2grid is not working?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Ashley

>> ncl-talk mailing list
>> List instructions, subscriber options, unsubscribe:

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |