Re: Reading BUFR data in NCL

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 15:28:44 MDT

There is a utility called PB2NC
(http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/pb2nc/index.php)

On 03/18/2010 03:08 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> This has been on our list for awhile, but we haven't done anything about
> it yet. We just don't get enough requests for this to make it a high
> priority. I will be sure to add your request to the list so we can keep
> track if this gets to be more popular.
>
> Perhaps some folks out there who deal with BUFR data would chime in and
> let us know of any conversion tools to convert from BUFR to another
> format, like NetCDF?
>
> --Mary
>
> On Mar 17, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Capehart, William J wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Has there been any developments in NCL to read BUFR sounding data?
>> (Specifically, I’m struggling to read some NCDC GOES sounding data).
>>
>> The only thing I can find is a thread from 2004 on the topic
>>
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2004/index.html#453
>>
>> But I’m getting absolutely nowhere with it.
>>
>> Thanks Much

>> Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@sdsmt.edu> Associate Professor
>> Institute of Atmospheric Sciences Land Surface Processes
>> 213 Mineral Industries Building Hydrometeorology
>> South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph: +1-605-394-1994
>> 501 East Saint Joseph Street Fax: +1-605-394-6061
>> Rapid City, SD 57701-3995 Mobile: +1-605-484-5692

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |