Re: read ECHAM5 (Gaussian Latitude/Longitude Grid)

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 10:38:43 MDT

The error message issued by NCL:

!! warning:GdsGAGrid: Gaussian latitude coordinate array
>> is partially or wholly undefined

is saying that the GDS [Grib Description Section] of the GRIB
record is not complete. If the GDS record is bad .... then no tool
will successfully remap the data.

Mehmet has been asked to forward the file to NCL.

On 03/31/2010 09:45 AM, Carlos A. F. Marques wrote:
> Hi Mehmet,
>
> You can easily remap the ECHAM5 Gaussian grid to a fixed
> grid with the Climate Data Operators (CDO), freely
> available at:
> http://www.mpimet.mpg.de/fileadmin/software/cdo/
>
> Example: Using CDO to remap data from Gaussian grid to a
> fixed grid (say, 2.5 by 2.5 => r144x73).
>
> First you can convert the grib files to netCDF as:
>
> cdo -f nc copy ECHAM5_in.grb ECHAM5_in.nc
>

> For the remapping use:
>
> cdo gencon,r144x73, ECHAM5_in.nc weights.nc
> cdo remap,r144x73,weights.nc ECHAM5_in.nc ECHAM5_out.nc
>
> The data in ECHAM5_out.nc will be in a 2.5 by 2.5 fixed
> grid.
>
> Good luck
>
> Carlos
>

> Em Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:07:34 +0200
> Mehmet Coskun<mehmet.coskun@ufz.de> escreveu:
>> Hi,
>> I tried to read ECHAM5 grib file which is Gaussian
>> Latitude/Longitude Grid , I got a warning message;
>>
>> !! warning:GdsGAGrid: Gaussian latitude coordinate array
>> is partially or wholly undefined
>>

>> Also my lattitute are not geographic latitute, How can I
>> convert Gaussian Latitude/Longitude Grid to regular
>> grid?
>>
>> 1.440558e+32
>> 8.547921e-44
>> 2.224632e-37
>> 0
>> 2.224708e-37
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 2.224697e-37
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 0
>> 6.866362e-44
>> 0
>> 1.853472e-37
>> 0
>> 2.22465e-37
>> 0
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Best regard
>>
>> mehmet

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |