hi, want to ask some questions about the MJO scripts in NCL.

From: Xie Xin <xiexinyls_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2010 - 20:01:48 MDT

hi,

I am using the MJO scripts in NCL to see some MJO results. When I come
to the multivariate EOF for MJO, it seems a little different from the
Wheeler 2004 and Lo 1999 paper. In the paper it suggests that
"seasonal cycle should be removed by subtracting from each grid point
the time mean and first three harmonics of the annual cycle" and then
the inter-annual variability associated with ENSO should also be
removed by first subtraction of variability that is linearly related
to a measure of ENSO in SST and trends, a 120-day mean of previous 120
days is subtracted. However, in the script of NCL I can only see the
band pass filter of the anomlies is applied. I do not know whether
this conforms to to the method of the original papers. And I need your
help about this. Is the script in NCL OK for MJO diagnostics? Thank
you very much!

Best regards,

Xin Xie