Re: Question about the OLR space-time Spectra

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Apr 23 2010 - 14:38:32 MDT

Hi,

This is a case of -999 being a bad choice of a missing value to use
for the input. The first input argument to dtrend_msg is an integer,
and since the missing value isn't explicitly set, -999 is used
internally.

With the test below, the value -999 ended up as a calculation
internally, and this caused a crucial "if" statement to be skipped,
because it thought this was a missing value.

I believe the fix is to simply not use -999 as a missing value. This
means you will need to change your code a little:

   t = ispan(0,ntime,1)*1.0
   t@_FillValue = 1e20 ; If you don't do this, -999 will be used
   b = dtrend_msg(t,temp,False,False)

We may change dtrend_msg to use something other than -999 for a
default missing value for floats and integers.

Also, one of our big plans for the next release of NCL is to change
some of the default missing values, as "-999" for floats and integers
is a bad choice. We may make this something like 1e20.

--Mary