Re: Question about the OLR space-time Spectra [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Carl J. Schreck, III <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2010 - 07:45:36 MDT

Dear Huang Ping,

In your longer (> 2000 days) plots, is it possible that you are including
times from before 1 January 1979? The OLR data contain a lot of missing
data before this date, but none after it. For the missing periods, the
entire globe would have missing values of 32766, which is a substantial
zonal mean! I do not know if/how wkSpaceTime handles these missing points,
but treating them as regular data could cause that issue.

Hope this helps.

     Cheers,
     Carl

2010/4/21 HUANG, Ping <ph0007@ustc.edu>

> Dear Dr. Wheeler,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I found that the problem is from the contributed function wkSpaceTime in
> NCL. My input data don't have a large zonal mean component. And only if the
> time range of input data are larger than 2000 days, there are the abnormal
> powers in wavenumber zero. In wkSpaceTime, all the steps operate the 96 and
> 65 overlapping days segment except removing the long term linear trend and
> annual cycle. Actually, the annual cycle of input data has been removed and
> the linear trend of each segment has been removed too. Thus, I deleted this
> two processes and the problem was figured out. I don't know why these two
> steps create so strong zonal mean when the input data have long time range.
>
> Regards,
>
> Huang Ping

Carl J. Schreck, III
PhD Student
Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
University at Albany, ES 330
carl@atmos.albany.edu
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/carl/