legend and annotation

From: Fan Fang <Fan.Fang_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2010 - 07:05:35 MDT

I have two question about adding legends and annotations.

First, I want the legend to include all markers, dash patterns, and
colors I used in plot. I make arrays for these symbols/colors and use
lgres like:

        lgres = True
        lgres@lgMonoMarkerIndex = False
        lgres@lgMarkerIndexes = markerArray
        lgres@lgMonoDashIndex = False
        lgres@lgDashIndexes = dashPatternArray
        lgres@lgMonoLineColor = False
        lgres@lgLineColors = colorArray

I saw lines with different dash patterns and colors but not the markers
(I expected to see the markers in the middle of lines in legend, at
least somewhere around it). Is it doable or what would be the correct
way to do it?

Second, due to the size of the legend I want to move it as an annotation
to a second frame (in other words, the plot in one frame, and
annotations in a different frame without the plot, but otherwise in one
postscript file). I did a frame(wks) for the plot which came out ok.
I used lgres and amres resources and either gsn_add_annotation() or
NhlAddAnnotation() but the annotation would not show up until I
draw(plot) and frame(wks), when both plot and annotation came out
overlapping with each other. Again, I am not sure I am using the
correct method doing this.

Thanks for help.

-Fan