Re: convective precipitation rates

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 08:01:37 MDT

The file format (GRIB, nc, hdf, hdf-eos, binary, ascii) means nothing as
far as variable units are concerned. The file creator could use any
units. Ideally, a variable on a netCDF file, which is supposed to be
self describing, would have an attribute called "units" which explicitly
identify the variable's units. If this is not present,
you have a lousy netCDF file!

You could do a 'ncdump -h' or 'ncl_filedump'

        float precip(time, lat, lon) ;
                precip:units = "mm/day" ; <======

Typical units are

mm