Re: ECMWF forecast data GRIB field split

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 13:18:37 MDT

Hi Adrian,

I will speculate that NCL treats the file this way because the earlier
records have different "time range indicators" (see http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table5.html
  for the messy details).
The '_10' indicates that the later GRIB records are using 2 bytes to
store the forecast time (time range indicator 10) whereas the earlier
records use only 1 byte. This of course is a meaningless distinction
for an end user such as yourself, and it would be nice if it could be
overcome somehow.

Can you point me to a sample of this data or else upload a sample? See
the page http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/report_bug.shtml for instructions on
uploading data.
  -dave