Adjusting tickmark labels with gsn_csm_contour_map

From: Emilie Vanvyve <evanvyve_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 09:01:22 MDT

Hello,

I am new to NCL and struggling to customise a simple plot. I am not doing
anything fancy and don't understand why it doesn't work, hence this
e-mail.

The plot is simple, it shows the topography of the US. I am trying to make
the lon/lat labels match the lon/lat grid lines overlaid on the filled
contours. I can modify the grid lines to be every 10 degrees, but I can't
modify the axis labels to match this (they are every 15 degrees in lon and
5 degrees in lat). Note that I could as well modify the grid lines spacing
to match the labels, but this offers less flexibility.

The topography is stored in the 'terrain' variable and is on a regular
longitude-latitude grid. I plot these data with:

  plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,terrain,res)
  draw(plot)
  frame(wks)

where 'res' has previously been set as:

  res = True
  res@gsnDraw = False
  res@gsnFrame = False

  res@mpProjection = "LambertConformal"
  res@mpLambertParallel1F = 10
  res@mpLambertParallel2F = 70
  res@mpLambertMeridianF = -100
  res@mpLimitMode = "LatLon"
  res@mpMinLatF = 20
  res@mpMaxLatF = 55
  res@mpMinLonF = -140
  res@mpMaxLonF = -60
  res@mpGridAndLimbOn = True
  res@mpGridSpacingF = 10.
  res@pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always"

  res@tmXBMode = "Manual" ; I also tried "Explicit"
  res@tmXBTickStartF = -130.
  res@tmXBTickSpacingF = 10.
  res@tmYLMode = "Manual"
  res@tmYLTickStartF = 20.
  res@tmYLTickSpacingF = 10.

  res@cnFillOn = True
  res@cnLinesOn = False

At execution of the script, I get:

  warning:MapPlotSetValues: tm[XB|XT|YL|YR]Mode resources are not
  currently enabled for MapPlot tick marks

I guess that's why it doesn't work, but why does this message appear and
how can I solve my problem?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I did look through the on-line
documentation and previous e-mail messages, but couldn't find any
explanation (that I understand).

Thanks in advance for any help,
Emilie