Re: Runtime input to ncl script

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 08:27:06 MDT

On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:48 PM, gibies george wrote:

> Mary,
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience. But I send send it to ncl-talk for getting the continuity of the conversation.
>
> Now about setenv:
>
> I am using bash shell and I have already done it in .bashrc file.
>
> export PATH=/opt/opengrads/:$PATH
> export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncl_5.1.1
> export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH
> #export MANPATH=$NCARG_ROOT/man:$MANPATH
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
>
> My NCL is working properly.
>
> Please refer your previous mail
> (
> Try running:
>
> ng4ex xy13c
>
> to see if it compiles (you need some additional X11 libraries). This command will copy "xy13c.c" to your current directory and try to compile it using "nhlcc".
> Once it runs, you can click on the pop-up window with your left-mouse button to get values.
> )
>
> When I tried it. the response from the system is
>
> Resource directory </usr/share/ncarg/resfiles> does not exist.
>
> I suppose that the message is from ng4ex. But I could not understand what is ng4ex. Is it a shellscript ?

"ng4ex" is a c-shell script, and it uses $NCARG_ROOT to help it determine where to get the
example scripts and resource files.

However, you may have another environment variable like NCARG_LIB
or NCARG_NCARG that is conflicting with NCARG_ROOT. These
environment variables will override NCARG_ROOT if they are set.

What does the following report:

   ncl -V
  env | grep NCARG
  which ncl

It's possible you just need to make sure there are no other NCARG_XXXX environment variables set
other than NCARG_ROOT.

BTW, you are running an old version of NCL. The current version is 5.2.0, and we're about to release 5.2.1.

--Mary