Error when using systemfunc in NCL 5.2.x under cygwin

From: Hoffman Cheung <hoffmancheung_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 08:22:11 MDT

Hello,

I have encountered a problem when executing the NCL script under cygwin (in
Windows Vista/7) in the two latest versions (i.e. NCL 5.2.0 and 5.2.1). When
my program try to use the function systemfunc, it always ends
accidentally due to an unexpected error. An example in given below:

Script (test_ncl521.ncl)

1. ; script test_ncl521.ncl
2.
3. system("date")
4. print(sprinti("%03i",ispan(-100,100,1)))
5.
6. system("date")
7. do n = -10, 10
8. print("n = " + n)
9. end do
10.
11. system("date")
12. do i = 0, 999
13. print(i + " " + systemfunc("date"))
14. end do

Output

Mon Jul 26 21:33:24 2010
Mon Jul 26 21:33:24 2010
Mon Jul 26 21:33:24 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) -100
(1) -99
(2) -98
(3) -97
(4) -96
(5) -95
(6) -94
(7) -93
(8) -92
(9) -91
(10) -90
(11) -89
(12) -88
(13) -87
(14) -86
(15) -85
(16) -84
(17) -83
(18) -82
(19) -81
(20) -80
(21) -79
(22) -78
(23) -77
(24) -76
(25) -75
(26) -74
(27) -73
(28) -72
(29) -71
(30) -70
(31) -69
(32) -68
(33) -67
(34) -66
(35) -65
(36) -64
(37) -63
(38) -62
(39) -61
(40) -60
(41) -59
(42) -58
(43) -57
(44) -56
(45) -55
(46) -54
(47) -53
(48) -52
(49) -51
(50) -50
(51) -49
(52) -48
(53) -47
(54) -46
(55) -45
(56) -44
(57) -43
(58) -42
(59) -41
(60) -40
(61) -39
(62) -38
(63) -37
(64) -36
(65) -35
(66) -34
(67) -33
(68) -32
(69) -31
(70) -30
(71) -29
(72) -28
(73) -27
(74) -26
(75) -25
(76) -24
(77) -23
(78) -22
(79) -21
(80) -20
(81) -19
(82) -18
(83) -17
(84) -16
(85) -15
(86) -14
(87) -13
(88) -12
(89) -11
(90) -10
(91) -09
(92) -08
(93) -07
(94) -06
(95) -05
(96) -04
(97) -03
(98) -02
(99) -01
(100) 000
(101) 001
(102) 002
(103) 003
(104) 004
(105) 005
(106) 006
(107) 007
(108) 008
(109) 009
(110) 010
(111) 011
(112) 012
(113) 013
(114) 014
(115) 015
(116) 016
(117) 017
(118) 018
(119) 019
(120) 020
(121) 021
(122) 022
(123) 023
(124) 024
(125) 025
(126) 026
(127) 027
(128) 028
(129) 029
(130) 030
(131) 031
(132) 032
(133) 033
(134) 034
(135) 035
(136) 036
(137) 037
(138) 038
(139) 039
(140) 040
(141) 041
(142) 042
(143) 043
(144) 044
(145) 045
(146) 046
(147) 047
(148) 048
(149) 049
(150) 050
(151) 051
(152) 052
(153) 053
(154) 054
(155) 055
(156) 056
(157) 057
(158) 058
(159) 059
(160) 060
(161) 061
(162) 062
(163) 063
(164) 064
(165) 065
(166) 066
(167) 067
(168) 068
(169) 069
(170) 070
(171) 071
(172) 072
(173) 073
(174) 074
(175) 075
(176) 076
(177) 077
(178) 078
(179) 079
(180) 080
(181) 081
(182) 082
(183) 083
(184) 084
(185) 085
(186) 086
(187) 087
(188) 088
(189) 089
(190) 090
(191) 091
(192) 092
(193) 093
(194) 094
(195) 095
(196) 096
(197) 097
(198) 098
(199) 099
(200) 100
(0) n = -10
(0) n = -9
(0) n = -8
(0) n = -7
(0) n = -6
(0) n = -5
(0) n = -4
(0) n = -3
(0) n = -2
(0) n = -1
(0) n = 0
(0) n = 1
(0) n = 2
(0) n = 3
(0) n = 4
(0) n = 5
(0) n = 6
(0) n = 7
(0) n = 8
(0) n = 9
(0) n = 10
(0) 0 Mon Jul 26 21:33:24 2010
(0) 1 Mon Jul 26 21:33:24 2010
(0) 2 Mon Jul 26 21:33:24 2010
(0) 3 Mon Jul 26 21:33:25 2010
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 13 in file test_ncl521.ncl

The error still exists after I updated the cygwin. Indeed, this seldom
happened in any other old versions that I have ever used (from NCL 5.0.0).

How can I solve the problem? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Hoffman