Re: on the EOF variance

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 09:20:52 MDT

The calculated eigenvalues are returned as an attribute named "eval"

The eigenvalue shift (es) is eqn 24 in North.
Let "ev" be the eigenvalues returned by eofunc and "neval"
be the number of computed eigenvalues

      ev_shift = ev(0:neval-2)*sqrt(2.0/N)

where N is either the number of time steps or
the number of grid points ... depending upon
if the eofunc performs a transpose before computing
the EOFs or not. The eigenvalue difference is

     ev_diff = ev(0:neval-2) - ev(1:)

Then, the "rule of thumb" sampling error is

     ev_serr = (ev_shift/ev_diff)*ev

If successive eigenvalues are separated by anything close to
sampling_err then you may have sampling issues.

Good luck