Re: hodographs

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Aug 09 2010 - 07:39:07 MDT

Nobody has answered so ....

[1]
There is no existing, supported hodograph function in NCL.

[2]
At some level, perhaps not 'seen' by the user, the wind
and direction must be reduced to u/v for plotting. The user
who donated xy_28.ncl had u and v data. Not sure there
is any "shame" with this approach.

[3]

I copied the wind rose code and created the **alpha level**
hodograph function [attached]. I also used

Example 4
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/axes.shtml
for an alternative look.

You can play with this to get what you want.

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~shea/hodograph.ncl
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~shea/hodo_cartesian.ncl
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~shea/wind_hourly.txt

The hodo_cartesian.ncl is needed *only* if you want the
cartesian background.

Good luck