Problem about the bilinear interpolation from FNL 1x1 grid point values to sites locations over Tibtean Plateau

From: 梁宏 <lhcams3000_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2010 - 19:47:45 MDT

Hello,

I use NCL bilinear interpolation function "linint2_points" to carry out
interpolation from FNL 1x1 grid point surface pressure values to sites
locations over Tibetan Plateau.

       The version of NCL I am running is 5.2.0. The type of system I am
on is Window XP.

The NCEP/NCAR-FNL data is available from the website:
http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds083.2/%a3%ae%a1%a1I found that the ranges of diurnal
variation of surface pressure determined by NCEP/NCAR-Fnl are more than 300
hPa at Lhas, Naqu and Gaize sites over the Tibetan Plateau. I mail to the
FNL project supporter Mr. Gregg Walters to discuss this problem. He told me
that variable identifier being used consistently in the NCL software maybe
not proper. Please see the document attached for more details. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

Liang Hong

Chinese Academy of Meteorological Science, Beijing, China

email: liangh@cams.cma.gov.cn lhcams3000@sohu.com

The mails are as follows,

Dear Liang Hong,

I am having trouble reproducing the FNL problem. I used the GrADS
contouring software to plot the PRESsfc field and did not see the values
flipping back and forth like you report. However, it looks to me like the
values in your graph for the interpolated FNL values appear to be flipping
between sea level pressure and surface pressure, with the flips occurring at
the end of a month. Is the proper variable identifier being used
consistently in the NCL software?

What I am about to say is not direct proof of the integrity of the data, but
close to it. We have over 600 FNL users per month, for a few years, and no
one else has reported this kind of problem. Perhaps no one else has been
noticing the Tibet region, but this seems very unlikely.

Gregg