Re: Maximum netCDF file size available in NCL

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 09:23:49 MDT

HI Bill,
Standard NetCDF has a size limit of 2GB per file. There is a large
file option that allows much larger files. You can set this option
using NCL's setfileoption:

setfileoption("nc","Format","LargeFile")

You must do this prior to creating the file in NCL.

There are still some size restrictions with this mode. To remove
virtually all size restrictions you can use the NetCDF4 format;

setfileoption("nc","Format","NetCDF4Classic")

More information can be found at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/setfileoption.shtml

  -dave