Creating a new variable of indeterminate length

From: Christopher Steele <christopher.steele_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 02:31:10 MDT

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to read in a list of meteorological station files and extract the
relevant data from them as one continuous time series. However, due to the
nature of meteorological stations, not all report data at each time interval
so I'm left with data files of varying lengths. Ordinarily, I would create a
file list, preassign a new variable, and create a loop over the files and
extract the data into the new variable so that I'm left with one continuous
data set to work with. Unfortunately, I cannot do this if the length of the
files are indeterminate. Short of going back to the original data files (of
which there are many) and ensuring that all stations that do not report
produce a nan, is there a way around this, or even a more efficient way of
reading in data from multiple files?

cheers

Chris