Bilinear Interpolation

From: Christopher Steele <christopher.steele_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Oct 06 2010 - 01:10:28 MDT

Hi,

I've been attempting to do a comparison of WRF simulations with differing
resolutions. To do this I have interpolated the lower resolution simulation
onto a grid the same size as the higher one using the linint2 command. Then
I simply find the difference between the two. The script itself works but it
produces strange output. There is a band of data running along the SW-NE
diagonal that is close to zero (or at least giving differences that are of a
magnitude that you would perhaps expect), which is sandwiched between
regions of unrealistically large values in the NW and SE corners. These
areas are the polar opposite to one another, ie, the higher resolution run
is unrealistically larger than the low in the NW and the lower is
unrealistically larger than the high resolution in the SE. These patterns
are apparent in the simulations at all times, suggesting that somehow one of
the data sets have been flipped in both the horizontal and vertical
dimensions though I cannot see how this has happened.

Chances are I've made a glaring mistake somewhere in the script that I can't
see (possibly from staring at it blankly for too long), but has anyone had
experience with interpolating WRF data like this before and could offer
help?

Sorry if the script appears a little messy!

cheers

Chris