Re: how to calculate average of seasonal means

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 11:44:13 MDT

To me, it is not clear what is the best approach.
We get lots of questions and we have our 'real' jobs to do.
Hence, providing a clear, concise description of the problem
and the objective facilitates getting answers.

When referring to a variable, it is always best to include the
output from (eg)

    ListSetType (f, "???") ; 'cat' (default) or 'join'

    f = addfiles("...". "r")
    w = f->WIND
    printVarSummary(w)

Are the data, 6 hourly, daily, monthly????

To what "seasons" are you referring?
eg: DJF, NDJF, ONDJF, ONDJFM, ......

On 10/19/2010 10:54 AM, Vishali P. wrote:
> Hi Ryan
>
> Thanks. I already used that command. I'll explain you in steps what I
> did and what I want
>
> 1. Firstly, my data are separated in files from 1998 to 2004, 2 files
> per year(one for component u and another for v)
>
> 2. I calculated (with ncl) wind speed with formula
>
> w = sqrt(u^2+v^2)
>
> 3. Created outputs of w for each year (year file is aprox 950MB)
>
> 4. Used the command 'cdo yseasmean' from CDO for each year (7 files)
>
> 5. NOW, I want to 'pick' all first season of each year to calculate
> average, then the 2nd season , then 3rd and then 4th.
>
> 6. And finaly...plot 4 graphics of sazonal mean of wind speed(1998-2004)
>
> If something is not clear...please tell.
>
> Vp

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |