Re: how to calculate average of seasonal means

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 11:16:30 MDT

Hello Ryan,

FTR:

It is not "taboo" to reference or suggest either the CDO or NCO.
In fact, there is an Applications example link

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/system.shtml

that illustrates invoking assorted tools (NCO, CDO, wget, convert,
wgrib) from NCL via system and/or systemfunc.

===
FYI: there is an undocumented (hence, unsupported) function in
contributed.ncl named "calculate_monthly_values" that is similar
to some of your functions.

%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

search for calculate_monthly_values

On 10/19/2010 10:04 AM, Ryan Pavlick wrote:
> I know its a bit taboo here, but since you already mentioned using
> CDO, why not use the "cdo yseasmean" command. Just type "cdo -h
> yseasmean" if you need help with the syntax. If you want you can call
> it directly from NCL using the "system" function.
>
> These sort of calendar-related commands are an area where CDO really
> excels over NCL. Overall though I prefer working with NCL, so I've
> started implementing some them as functions in an NCL library.
>
> http://github.com/rpavlick/timstat.ncl
>
> I haven't done anything with seasonal values yet, so it won't be of
> any use to your particular problem now.
>
> Cheers,
> Ryan
>
> ------------------
> Ryan Pavlick, PhD Student
> Biospheric Theory and Modellling Group
> Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry
>
> phone: +49.36.41.57.6262
> web: http://gaia.mpg.de

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |