Visualising categorical vegetation data

From: Willow S Hallgren <hallgren_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 14:58:40 MDT

Hi,

I have some very large ascii (csv) files (approx 9.9 gb each) and I'm trying to write an NCL script to (a) create a subset of them, and output this to a netcdf file, and (b) visualise them.

I've done (a) via the code:

filename = "/dir/XYZ_dataset.csv"
lines = asciiread(filename,-1,"string")
delim = ","
lon = str_get_field(lines,1,delim)
lat = str_get_field(lines,2,delim)
varname = str_get_field(lines,3,delim)
year = str_get_field(lines,4,delim)
potveg =str_get_field(lines,9,delim)

I then convert data types from string to whatever they're supposed to be using the NCL type converter functions

e.g. lon_f = stringtofloat(lon)

I then create a subset using the onedtond function; subset = (/var 1,var 3, var 5/) etc...

When I print this subset, it gives me a long list of values with their column and row numbers.

My questions are:

- Is there an easy way I can write this subset of ascii data to netcdf format?

- how would I visualise this data? basically I want to be able to draw a map of vegetation classes on a global grid. - how would I go about doing this - none of the plot types I've come across seem to do what I want...

Thanks in advance if anyone can give me some pointers....

Regards,
Wil