png output -- mechanics

From: wxtofly <wxtofly_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 21 2010 - 16:38:46 MDT
Hello,

I've succeeded in getting simple .png files output and succeeded in renaming them individually.  Now I want to create one background and use it for many different png output files.

Back in 2006, Jack Glendenning posted this:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2006/0750.html

which relates how to re-use a background plot for multiple plots without redrawing it each time.

Should this work the same way for the new "png" output type?

Is it possible to create a background image as a semi-permanent object that would not even need to be drawn at all for a given data run, just read?

Thanks,
TJ Olney