Re: trying to install ncl and nco on ubuntu or centos

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 12:12:14 MST

Hi Dave,

I can't speak for NCO, UDUNITS, and NCVIEW as we don't develop these
packages. I'll answer about NCL.

We are currently unable to provide packages for all the different
systems you list, partially because we don't have access to all of the
systems you listed.

Mostly, however, we can't do this because we require that users get
NCL via the ESG website. And this, in turn, requires that you login to
get the software. This makes it impossible to use for LINUX package
distributors.

The reason we require downloading via the ESG is that we need
meaningful metrics on who's downloading the software. These metrics
are reported (indirectly) back to NSF, our funder, to show the impact
NCL has on scientific research. Without these metrics, NSF could
potentially decide to discontinue our funding.

We are currently looking into whether we can still use the ESG to
gather meaningful metrics, but have it so that it doesn't always
require a password for getting NCL.

There are people out there who have taken it upon themselves to create
package distros for NCL, and this counts against us as we are then
unable to get metrics from those downloads. However, we realize this
is a valuable service, so we look the other way.

Meanwhile, you said you were trying to build from source code. We
provide several binaries for various LINUX systems; have you tried one
of these?

--Mary