Re: overlaying raster over other fields

From: Joe Grim <grim_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2010 - 16:55:24 MST

Thanks Daran,

I think that points me in the right direction. However, this "transparent"
color still ends up covering up what's below it. The missing value areas
are no longer white in the output ps file, but instead "transparent" (as
indicated by the light and dark gray checkerboard pattern using "display).
Using your input plus related stuff from ncl-talk archives, I have updated
the relevant attributes as follows:
  res@gsnDraw = False ; do not draw the plot since
stuff will later be overlaid
  res@gsnFrame = False ; do not advance frame
  res@cnFillOn = True ; Turn on color fill
  res@cnFillMode = "CellFill" ; Do not use RasterFill, as per
ncl documentation, transparency doesn't work with it
  res@cnLinesOn = False ; Don't use contour lines
(only fill)
  res@cnLevelSelectionMode = "ExplicitLevels" ; explicitly set the contour
levels
  ; make first value "missing" (-1 is the @_FillValue), then make the rest
of the values from min to max
  res@cnLevels =
array_append_record(-1,ispan(min_contour,max_contour,cntr_intrvl),0)
  ; use transparency as first color (-1 is transparent), then make the rest
of the colors from 3 to 101
  res@cnFillColors = array_append_record(-1,ispan(3,101,1),0)
  res@cnMissingValFillColor = -1 ; use transparency for missing value

Do you (or does anyone else) have any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Joe