Re: vector eof/pca (e.g. u- and v-component of current data)

From: Malte Stuecker <malte.stuecker_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2011 - 01:37:21 MDT

Hi,

I read the Wilks reference, however it is still not clear to me how to
'technically' pass the two components (meaning how to structure it in
a matrix) to eofunc, either using the covariance or correlation matrix
(@jopt).
I tried to use the function array_append_record to combine the two
components prior to the eofunc call and de-combined them afterwards,
however the resulting pattern of my data set seems to be lacking
major features which emerge when performing an individual eof analysis
of each component.

Thanks,
Malte

2011/3/14 Malte Stuecker <malte.stuecker@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for the quick reply and the help so far!
> I will try to get a hold on the Wilks reference, it seems our library
> doesn't stock it.
> I assume the resulting EOF and also the interpretation will be quite
> different between the two mentioned methods:
>
> 1) eofunc of data(time,lat,lon,component)
> 2) eofunc of data(time,2xlat,lon)
>    with 2xlat meaning using merged u- and v- field along the meridional axis
> !?
>

> 2011/3/14 gibies george <gibies@tropmet.res.in>:
>>

>> On 15 March 2011 10:31, gibies george <gibies@tropmet.res.in> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Malte,
>>> There is a slight different way, which I am using.
>>> We have
>>>  u(time,lat,lon)
>>>  v(time,lat,lon)
>>> I combine them into another variable
>>> data(time,lat,lon,component)
>>> where
>>> data&time = u&time   ; is also =v&time
>>> data&lat = u&lat         ; is also =v&lat
>>> data&lon = u&lon        ; is also =v&lon
>>> data&component = (/"uwnd","vwnd"/)
>>> data(time|:,lat|:,lon|:,component|0) = u(time|:,lat|:,lon|:)