Re: calculating lat/lon of minimum pressure

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2011 - 11:48:14 MDT

Hi Darren,
Assuming your latitude/longitude arrays are 3-dimensional (Time,
south_north, west_east for instance), then you could do something like
this: (array is named "pres", has 3 dimensions with the first one being
a coordinate variable named time, XLAT = 3D lat array, XLONG = 3D lon
array):

; (untested!)
do gg = 0,dimsizes(pres&time)-1
    temp = pres(gg,:,:)
    temp1D = ndtooned(temp)
    i = ind(temp1D.eq.min(temp))
    indices = ind_resolve(i,dimsizes(temp))
    print(indices)
    print(XLAT(gg,indices(0,0),indices(0,1))+ \
       " "+XLONG(gg,indices(0,0),indices(0,1)))
    print(temp(indices(0,0),indices(0,1))) ; check #1
    print(min(temp)) ; check #2
    delete([/temp,temp1D,i,indices/]) ; ncl v6.0.0 coding allows
    ......... ; multiple deletes
end do

Hopefully that all makes sense. The trick is to use ind and ind_resolve
to locate the indices that match the min of your array.

If that doesn't help let the group know.
Good luck,
Adam