Re: gamma undefined in ncl6.0.0

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 23 2011 - 13:54:47 MDT

Hi,

The "gamma" that you see in the ncl executable is not from a built-in function, but rather from an internal Fortran routine that we have called "gamma".

I see that we have *advertised* that we have a function called "gamma", but this was never implemented. I'll have to check with Dennis on this.

One way to search for a particular function in NCL from the UNIX command line:

echo "list_procfuncs()" | ncl | grep gamma

You'll get this output:

function gammainc (
function random_gamma (

I believe the "gamma" that you found in the "ncl" executable is from an internal GAMMA function that is used by the "chiinv" function:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/chiinv.shtml

--Mary