Re: plotting QuikSCAT L2B

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 12 2011 - 14:57:24 MDT

You do not have to regrid the data.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/HDF.shtml
See examples 4, 5

   v = f->v

   lat2d = f->Latitude
   lon2d = f->Longitude

   v@lon2d = lon2d
   v@lat2d = lat2d

Draw the map and plot

On 07/12/2011 02:51 PM, Paula Doubrawa Moreira wrote:
> Hi, all -
>
> I am trying to plot QuikSCAT L2B winds. These are swath (orbit) files,
> one orbital revolution per file (not gridded!).
>
> Since it is not gridded, so I'm having trouble *assigning coordinate
> variables to plot it over a map*. I can't find much help on the QuikSCAT
> manual about how to interpret the variable dimensions in the file, so
> I'm writing for some advice.
>
> The variables look like this:
>
> *Variable: v*
> *Type: float*
> *Total Size: 1974784 bytes*
> * 493696 values*
> *Number of Dimensions: 2*
> *Dimensions and sizes:[Wind_Vector_Cell_Row | 3248] x [Wind_Vector_Cell
> | 152]*
> *Coordinates: *
> *Number Of Attributes: 9*
> * _FillValue :1e+20*
> * long_name :wind_speed_selection*
> * units :m/s*
> * SDS_type :Single*
> * scale_factor_err : 0*
> * add_offset_err : 0*
> * calibrated_nt :1*
> * hdf_name :wind_speed_selection*
> * valid_range :( 0, 50 )*
>
> 3248 is number of rows and 152 is number of columns, so I have created
> regular lat/lon coordinates using these numbers and the functions
> latGlobeF and lonGlobeF.
>
> I successfully plotted the data over a map, but I don't think this is
> correct. I have checked the values for the assigned lats/lons for some
> points and they don't match to the original file. Creating a regular
> grid may not be the best approach. Any hints?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Paula
>
> --
> *Paula Doubrawa Moreira*/
> /Graduate Student - Research Assistant
> International Arctic Research Center
> University of Alaska Fairbanks

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |