Re: Interpolation

From: Joseph Zambon <jbzambon_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 12:56:27 MDT

Jonathan,

Seems like an easy way to double the time output on regular intervals would be to linearly interpolate by finding the averages between the timesteps.... Say you have regular 6-hourly output (4x daily: t0, t6, t12, t18, t24, etc...)

t0=t0
t3=(t0+t6)/2
t6=t6
t9=(t6+t9)/2
t12=t12
t15=(t12+t18)/2
t18=t18
t21=(t18+t24)/2
t24=t24

If the temporal spacing is irregular then a simple average would not work and you have to weight accordingly. This is assuming the spatial array is the same for all timesteps, if not, then you need to 2d or 3d interpolate spatially the same grid and then interpolate temporally.

-Joe

Joseph B. Zambon
jbzambon@ncsu.edu
NC State University
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Jordan 4133