Re: standard deviation and related coefficient

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 16:01:05 MST

To read in ASCII files that potentially has no values in some columns, you would normally use asciiread to read in the data as strings, and then use str_get_cols to parse out the columns you want.

Your file has some tabs in it, though, which makes the columns uneven. Your best bet might be to write a Fortran program to read this file in, and then wrap it with WRAPIT so you can call it from NCL:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/WRAPIT.shtml

For all the other questions, please read the documentation. There are functions for averaging, standard deviation, etc:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/math.shtml

--Mary