Re: reading TIGGE grib2 format data

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 13 2012 - 11:25:56 MDT

Are the TIGGE files themselves larger than 2GB or is the problem that after conversion they become greater than 2GB? If it is the first, then you will need to somehow break the file into pieces that are less than 2GB in order to use NCL. Recent versions of the wgrib utility can do this. It is on our to do list to get NCL to handle such files but it will probably be awhile before we can get to it. If it is the second, then make sure you have the largefile option set for the NetCDF file you are writing. If a single variable that you are reading from a GRIB file is greater than 2GB (when expanded into an NCL variable), then there have been recent fixes to NCL that will show up in the next version (scheduled for release in April) that will handle such variables. If this is your problem and you need the fix before the release, then we can probably get a binary to you.
 -dave