Smoothing / Filtering Data

From: Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 <bruce.lunde_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 12:33:05 MDT

Hello,

I have a question that falls under gridding/regridding,
but is really a filtering question.

I have both high resolution data and unstructured data.
I want to create a grid of the data at a lower resolution.
This is really a spatial filtering problem, however I don't
see any routines directly related to this.

The four routines I have found that address this problem
for 2D data are: dsgrid2, obj_anal_ic, smth9, wrf_smooth_2d

My quick assessment of the limitations:
  dsgrid2 : No obvious ones.
  obj_anal_ic : Restricted to geographical data (lon,lat).
  smth9 : Input data must be gridded. Only the eight
    nearest grid points affect the smoothing.
  wrf_smooth_2d : Input data must be gridded. Only the eight
    nearest grid points affect the smoothing.

Question: Are there any other recommended routines ?

Question: Of the four I found, I am leaning towards using
  dsgrid2 and obj_anal_ic (although obj_anal_ic seems to be
  restricted to geographical data). Does anyone have any
  opinions on this ?

Question: I am running NCL versions older than 5.2 on some
  systems. Can I get the code for the old obj_anal_ic() that
  was a script in version 5.1 ?

Thanks, Bruce